ALZHEIMER DISEASE AND GUM DISEASE:
WHAT IS ALZHEIMER DISEASE?
Alzheimer disease is a neurodegenerative disease that usually starts slowly and get worse overtime
It is a Type of DEMENTIA.It is one of the leading cause for dementia worldwide.
A study has found that people with poor oral hygiene or gum disease(Periodontal disease) could be at a high risk of developing Alzheimer disease.
Researches,discovered the bacterium porphyromonas gingivalis in the brain of patients who have dementia,when they are alive.
HOW BACTERIA ENTERS BRAIN??CORRELATION BETWEEN GUM DISEASE AND ALZEHIMER DISEASE
1.Porphyromonas gingivalis is usually found in oral cavity and, is found associated with gum disease(periodontal disease).
2.This bacteria enters the bloodstream through a variety of daily activities like chewing,eating and brushing teeth.
3.This bacteria, through the blood stream can enter the brain
4.Damages the neurons in the brain,resulting in neurodegenerative disorder.
6.Results in dementia
- Short-term memory loss
- Problem with language
- Easily getting lost
- Mood swings
- Loss of motivation
- Not managing self care
- Behavioural issues
SIGNS OF ORAL CARE PROBLEM:
A person with dementia may not be able to tell you that there is a problem.here are some signs to look out for
- Refusal to eat,especially hot or cold foods
- Refusal to wear dentures
- Changes in restlessness,moaning or shouting
- Change in sleep
- Refusal to participate in daily activities
- Aggressive behaviour
TIPS FOR ORAL CARE
- Make sure that the patient has regular dental check up
- Take special care of dentures
- Maintain good oral hygiene
- Take preventive measures
- In early stage ,they brush by their own but in the later stage,you may need to take care of the task
- Try fluoride gels/pastes,if he refuses tooth brushing
- If they can tolerate the noise and vibration ,use electronic tooth brush and water pik to remove the deposits in between the teeth
- Medication like antidepressant can reduce the flow of saliva and result in dry mouth,this can make you difficulty in wearing denture,gum disease,tooth decay.In such case visit dentist,dentist will guide you how to increase salivary flow..
For more details and information visit us at www.blog.gumsandteeth.in
our website www.gumsandteeth.in
427/200B Gums and teeth laser dental clinic
Mambakkam main road, Medavakkam