DONT get Frustrated if your dentist takes photographs, instead you can ask why???
TOP REASONS WHY PHOTOGRAPHY IS IMPORTANT IN DENTISTRY?
1. DIAGNOSIS AND TREATMENT PLANNING:
- Intraoral photography gives in depth details about patient dentition and helps dentist to compare with other records (x-rays)
- Extra oral photography (your face front and side view) helps to access the patient profile extent of lip closure,open bite,gummys smile ,prominent chin helps to show the forwardly placed upper or lower jaw to the patient
- Side view of the patient during orthodontic treatment
|Intra oral, your clinician might put a clip in your mouth for a few seconds for better vision|
|This is to know the biting aspect and the tongue side of your teeth|
This provides dentist to finalize the treatment plan and provide smile designing in patient
35 year old female wants to replace missing teeth
Patient was diagnosed with missing teeth in upper and lower posterior region of jaw,dentist accessed the gums and bone support ,condition of nearby tooth,space available between teeth,contact points between the teeth,dentist finally sorted out the best treatment plan for patient of placing implants.
2. PHOTOGRAPHY FOR DATE AND TIME:
- Recording patient photography helps patient and dentist ,the date in which the first photography is taken,at the end of the treatment final photography speaks the success of the treatment.
- Old patients recorded photography presentation by the dentist,helps patient to understand what is going to be done in their mouth.
- Your photography is a visual story telling ,when you view it at the end of your treatment.
- It helps patient to claim insurance.
- Helps dentist to record the legal documentation(malpractice law suit).
- Forensic dentistry.
3. PATIENT DOCTOR COMMUNICATION:
- If patients intraoral problem ,treatment planning and diagnosis of intraoral problem are explained in words,it is not that easy to imagine in picture format,photography gives you a clear picture of what problem you are facing intraorally.
- (Especially your upper posterior teeth )It helps dentist to explain patient and helps patient understand clearly to what extend their teeth are affected intraorally,which cannot be visualised by their naked eyes.
- old patients recorded photography presentation by the dentist,makes it easier for the patient to understand what is going to be done in their mouth,makes communication between patient and dentist easier.
- Helps patient to provide a clear picture of the correct pathway of their treatment planning.
Communication between patient and dentist
patient is explained about the treatment plan by the dentist with the photography,especially the upper teeth which cannot be accessible to the patient
4. LAB TECHNICIAN AND DOCTORS COMMUNICATION:
- Lab technician would have not met the patient,the photography speaks at this moment the facial appearance of the patient,photography helps and makes it easier for dentist to explain the technician the appearance of the patient.
- some patients don't want to change their appearance,some patients would love to change their appearance,in such cases dentist shows the original profile of patient in photography and explains the patients need and dentist opinion.this helps lab technician to fabricate his work without any assumption or imagination.
- Shade of the teeth: Photography helps to decide the shade of teeth,it helps to view the shades of adjacent teeth.hence patient cannot differentiate natural teeth and artificial teeth.which gives patient confidence to smile
Communication between lab technician and dentist
This photography helps dentist to explain the technician to view the dentition and the tooth alignment,shade of the teeth.
5. Treatment procedure step by step photography
photography of implant placed in lower posteriors both left and right side
photography of implant placed in upper posterior in the right side
6. BEFORE TREATMENT AND AFTER TREATMENT PHOTOGRAPHY:
- Before and After treatment photography helps you to evaluate the treatment success rate and speaks about the smile designing .
- Shows how their dental hygiene is improved or not.
- The aesthetic changes before and after treatment.
comparison of before and after treatment photography
8. SPECIALIST CONSULTATION/ REFERRAL
If any pathology is evident in the patient mouth,complete history of patient accompanied by high resolution photography is sufficient enough for an over the phone consultation with a pathologist.
For these reasons your dentist might take photos....When a dentist takes photos be confident and happy that he/she is for precision!!!
427/200B Gums and Teeth Laser Dental Clinic and Implant Center
Mambakkam main road
For more info Visit us at www.gumsandteeth.in
For more info Visit us at www.gumsandteeth.in