ACIDIC FOODS AND TOOTH SENSITIVITY
Acid content of the food is measured by their pH value. Foods with a pH value less than 7 are considered to be acidic. Lesser the pH more will be the acidity of the food.
Foods and beverages that are high in acid content tend to wear away the enamel (outer layer of tooth) which protects the tooth. This process is referred as "Dental Erosion".
DENTAL EROSION :
It is a type of tooth wear in which the outer protective layer of the tooth(enamel) wear away and the next layer (dentin) is exposed. As a result of this the nerve tubules will be exposed which result in "Tooth Sensitivity".
Most commonly used acidic foods are
SIGNS OF TOOTH EROSION:
- Carbonated drinks which includes all soft drinks, diet soda & sports drinks.
- Citrus fruits like lemon, orange, lime and tomato and their juices.
- Sour candies
Tooth erosion should be noticed and treated at an early stage to prevent further complications like cracks, decay and pain.
- Sensitivity especially while drinking hot, cold or sweet drinks.
- Discoloration due to wearing of enamel & exposure of dentin.
- Color of the fillings in your teeth might change.
- Thinning of your teeth with sharp edges which might hurt your tongue and cheeks.
- Your front teeth may appear translucent near the edges
- Small cracks & roughness at the edge of your teeth.
TIPS TO PREVENT TOOTH EROSION:
TO KNOW MORE ABOUT "SENSITIVITY" CONTACT US @
- Have your acidic foods and beverages alongside your meal. This may help to neutralize their acid content and also their contact with the teeth.
- Avoid or limit acidic beverages. If you drink use a straw. This may reduce the contact of acid beverages with your teeth.
- After having acidic foods or beverages rinse your mouth with water.Also you can drink water, milk or have a snack of cheese after your acidic beverages because dairy and other calcium rich foods can neutralize acids.
- Wait before brushing. Your enamel will be soft after having acidic beverages. So wait for about 30 minutes for brushing.
- Saliva helps to keep the acid level under control. So chewing sugar free gums can help you maintain salivary flow and protect your teeth.
- Quit smoking because smokers are more prone to acidity and tooth erosion.
- Visit your dentist once in six month for early diagnosis and treatment.
GUMS AND TEETH LASER AND DENTAL IMPLANT CENTER @
427/200B, Mambakkam main road