Your overall health is connected to your dental health,so it is essential to do everything you can to maintain and restore oral health.
Sugar has many adverse effect on overall health,there are many ways that sugar affect your teeth and gums:
- Sugar changes mouth acidity
- Sugar leads to bacterial growth
- Effects of not brushing after consuming sugary foods and drinks
SUGAR CHANGES MOUTH ACIDITY
Your natural saliva is acidic,when combined with regular
tooth brushing it can maintain a low PH level,which
creates an environment for optimal tooth and gum health
When you consume sugar,your saliva interacts and begins to break it down.Naturally occurring bacteria in your saliva mix with the sugar,they create acid,which drives up the PH.This imbalance leads to more acidic environment in your mouth.
The acid levels can remain elevated for 20mins or more and during this time acid breaks to eat into the enamel of your teeth,creating dental caries(cavities)which needs filling or RCT to restore damaged tooth and remove infection.If a tooth is excessively decayed,it may have to be extracted to protect other teeth.
The acids created also form a friendly environment for unwelcomed guest:Bacteria that leads to gum diseases such as gingivitis,receding gums and which further leads to periodontitis.
EFFECTS OF NOT BRUSHING AFTER CONSUMING SUGARY FOODS AND DRINKS
The bacteria formed turn into plaque that irritates your gums leading to swelling and even bleeding.
Plaque leads to the formation of tartar(hardened crusty material). Tartar will start to cause your gums to pull away from your teeth,which allows bacteria to creep deep below the gum line and into the jawbone.
In severe cases, it leads to breakdown of connective tissue and tooth loss and need for bridges,implants or dentures.
HOW TO PROTECT YOUR TEETH FROM SUGAR
1. Avoid sugary drinks and foods whenever possible and be sure to always brush your teeth as soon as possible after eating or drinking,especially those in the form of sugar.
2. Checking the nutrition labels of all the food and drink you buy,limiting those high in sugar.
3. Try not eating or drinking sticky foods before going to bed.
4. Drinking water or rinsing your mouth after any snack or drink,especially if it is sugary one.
5. Using straw or drinking quickly to help reduce exposure of your teeth to sugary drinks.
Irrespective of how healthy your diet is,you should also follow good oral hygiene to help reduce bacteria and plaque in your mouth.This can help lower your risk of tooth decay and other problems.
💗Keep your smile healthy and strong by brushing and flossing everyday and visiting your dentist atleast twice a year💗
To know more about " DENTAL CARE" contact us @
GUMS AND TEETH LASER AND DENTAL IMPLANT CENTER @
Perumbakkam Main Road,
Landmark:Behind MSM food court
Also check us out at: www.gumsandteeth.in