Keto diet is an increasingly popular low - carbohydrate, high fat diet .
- It restricts the intake of carbohydrates, which puts your body into a state of ketosis - where burning fat instead of glucose causes you to lose weight .
- For some people keto is not a diet, It is a life style.
While this can help you reduce the pounds, it also produces three ketones as a result :
The latter, Acetone is what may be concerning to your dentist.
(Acetone cannot be used for energy storage, It is released from the body through lungs and urination which leads to bad breath )
Is it anyway related to oral health? let's discuss... Before that...
BENEFITS OF KETO DIET :
- It helps you in killing your appetite ( for food - lovers )
- Lowers high blood pressure
- It can even cure diseases such as Diabetes, Cancer, Epilepsy and Alzheimer's disease.
- Helps in increasing good cholesterol.
EFFECTS OF KETO DIET ON ORAL HEALTH :
Dentists prefer ketogenic diet because..,
1.Decreases the risk of gum disease :
- The reduction or total stoppage of sugar intake will surely help in making your gums healthy and strong.
- Gums are the roots of teeth so; the teeth will become automatically healthy when the gums are strong and disease free.
2.Reduce plaque formation :
- Positive effect of keto diet is that it can reduce the plaque buildup in the mouth. Plaque basically forms through the accumulation of tartar and bacteria on your teeth and gums.
- People who follow keto diet cut down the amount of carbohydrates intake. Carbohydrates are mainly responsible for building the plaque.
- Low carb means low sugar level; which ultimately reduces plaque buildup.
3.Destroy the cavities :
- Cavities are formed due to presence of sugar in the oral cavity. These sugars demineralize the tooth structure and make them weak.
- Keto diet doesn't include any sugary intake which stops the cavity formation in the mouth.
4.Reduction of phytic acid :
- Low mineral diet can be really dangerous. Mineral deficiencies can cause :
*Development of disease
*Worsening conditions of your teeth
- Many foods you consume contain phytic acid. It can absorb all the minerals which are necessary for the growth and maintenance of the body. Since keto diet is low on the carb and does not have phytic acid so you can be safe from dental problems.
- Hence, Ketogenic diet can be the most preferable measure for you to have a great smile.
HOW DOES IT AFFECTS YOUR ORAL HEALTH
Though it has positive effects on oral health, It has some extent of negative impact too...
1.Saliva acidity and dry mouth :
In keto diet, you can't maintain a balance of all the elements which your body ultimately needs. Because you are not consuming a balanced diet, your internal PH becomes more acidic.
When your saliva is acidic, dry mouth is an issue. Saliva fights off germs and protects the tissues from harm. Both the acidity and dryness will cause oral issues that your dentist will need to address.
2. Bad breath ( keto breath ) :
- One of the most common negative impacts of the keto diet is the foul smelling breath (metallic nature of the odor) .
- Some say it smells like nail polish remover.
- This happens with the majority of people who starts following the keto diet.
You must be wondering why that happens ?
- As you begin the ketogenic diet, your body starts burning fat instead of carbohydrates. This mainly happens due to high intake of fats.
- Ketones are some chemicals that are present in your body. But, their high development generates a distinct taste and odor in your mouth.
- It is the temporary side effect when your body is not yet using all the ketones the liver is producing.
- The bad breath will gradually reduce when your body fully adapts to this new diet.
- It starts using these ketones to fuel the muscles and brain.
But what to do till then? how to handle this bad breath?
METHODS OF REDUCING KETOGENIC BAD BREATH :
1. Increase water consumption :
- Drink as much water as u can to flush ketones and acetones from your body through urination.
- Water will help in constantly reducing the level of ketones through which your breath can be improved.
2.Focus on your oral hygiene :
- Brush after every meal
- Floss regularly
- Use an alcohol free mouthwash and a tongue scraper daily
3.Chew mints and gums :
- Mints and chewing gums can mask your bad breath and prevent it from coming out of your mouth.
- Ensure to choose sugar-free gums and mints in order to stick to your diet plan.
- Infuse pleasant-smelling herbs in water or tea. Herbs such as cloves, cinnamon, mint and fennel are natural breath fresheners.
4.Slightly decrease protein intake :
- Proteins are the main source of energy in a low - carbs keto diet. But eating too much protein can worsen the situation.
- Your body produces ammonia on burning proteins. High quantity ammonia will make your breath foul.
- Gradually cut carbs out of your diet rather than cut them out drastically. By doing this, it gives your body time to adjust to the change and not release as many ketones at once.
- Give yourself time to adapt to keto diet.
- De - stress yourself . stress not only reduces the flow of saliva, but it also slows digestion of proteins.
- Anxiety can also cause acid -reflux which leads to bad breath.
- Finding ways to de - stress is important when starting a new diet.
- While keto breath may be embarrassing , it may be a great way to achieve and maintain overall health.
- Bad breath is short - lived and will go away on its own. If you really can't stand keto breath, you may need to consider a diet with a different nutritional balance.
Why should you talk to your dentist before starting keto :
- The food you eat is an important part of your oral hygiene regimen. If you are changing your diet, it is beneficial to talk to your dentist first.
- When you have any concerns about your oral health, it is time to speak with a dentist.
Takeaway points :
Keto diets are a great short - term diet option for healthy people.
You must check with your physician to make sure your body can handle being put into ketosis. Your teeth will not suffer the most damage, but your breath might.
Give us every detail about your diet's limitations and indulgences so together we can make a positive impact on your dental health for years to come.
So, the keto diet can benefit as well as harm your oral health. however the limitations can be controlled so ; keto diet is majorly considered good for the teeth and mouth.
To know more about " GETTING RID OF BAD BREATH AND GUMS
RELATED ISSUES " contact us @ GUMS AND TEETH LASER AND
DENTAL IMPLANT CENTER @
ADDRESS : Perumbakkam main road,
LANDMARK : Behind MSM food court
MAIL ID : firstname.lastname@example.org
Also check us out at www.gumsandteeth.in
Post a Comment